AT MIMI CABANBAN DDS, your trusted dentist in Lakewood, CA, we use composite fillings to restore decayed or damaged teeth. Composite fillings, also known as tooth-colored fillings, are made of a mixture of glass or quartz filler and a resin material. They are a popular alternative to traditional metal fillings, as they are virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth and offer excellent durability and strength.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
One of the main benefits of composite fillings is their aesthetic appeal. They can be color-matched to blend seamlessly with the surrounding tooth structure, making them an ideal choice for visible teeth such as front teeth. In addition, composite fillings require less removal of healthy tooth structure compared to traditional metal fillings, making them a more conservative option.
Composite fillings are also known for their durability and resistance to wear and tear. With proper care and maintenance, they can last for many years, providing long-lasting protection and support for the affected tooth.
The Filling Process
The process of getting a composite filling typically involves removing the decayed or damaged portion of the tooth and filling the area with the composite material. The material is then hardened using a special light, and the filling is shaped and polished to match the natural contours of the tooth.
Ensuring the Longevity of Your Composite Filling
Proper care and maintenance of composite fillings can help ensure their longevity and effectiveness in protecting and supporting your teeth. Here are some tips on how to take care of your composite fillings:
- Maintain good oral hygiene: Brush your teeth at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and floss daily to remove plaque and food particles that can contribute to tooth decay.
- Avoid hard or sticky foods: Chewing on hard foods, such as ice or hard candy, can chip or crack your fillings. Sticky foods, such as caramel or taffy, can pull the filling out of the tooth.
- Wear a mouthguard: If you play sports or grind your teeth at night, wear a mouthguard to protect your teeth and fillings from damage.
- Visit your dentist regularly: Regular dental check-ups and cleanings can help detect any potential issues with your fillings and ensure they are in good condition. Your dentist can also provide guidance on how to care for your fillings properly.
- Avoid acidic foods and drinks: Acidic foods and drinks, such as citrus fruits and soda, can erode the tooth enamel and cause the filling to fail prematurely.
By following these simple steps, you can help ensure the longevity and effectiveness of your composite fillings, as well as the overall health of your teeth and gums.
We Look Forward to Seeing You at Our Lakewood Practice!
At Mimi Cabanban DDS, we are committed to providing our patients with the highest quality dental care services, including composite fillings. Our team of dental professionals is experienced in using the latest techniques and materials to restore the health and beauty of your smile.
If you are experiencing tooth decay or damage, or if you have metal fillings that you would like to replace with tooth-colored composite fillings, contact us today to schedule a consultation. We will work with you to determine the best treatment plan to meet your unique dental needs and help you achieve a healthy and beautiful smile. You can learn more about us by checking our business page, and make sure to get directions before heading our way.